Friday, June 5, 2009

D'oh Nuts

For those of you unaware of what today is...it's National Donut Day!

That's right, a holiday for the rest of us. The rest of us over-sugared Americans that is. God Bless Lady Liberty and the donut she rode in eating. But it really started during WWI as a day spent commemorating Salvation Army volunteers who served home cooked meals to soldiers on the frontlines. They often made donuts inside the soldiers' metal helmets. The term "doughboy" was given to those young soldiers particularly fond of the fried dessert. (alternativehealth.com)



While donuts are oh so scrumptious and irresistible - see anything with sprinkles, chocolate and deep fryed - I have sworn to lay off the cornerless pastries until after the wedding. A donut-inflicted bum will not be fitting in my dress. Unfortunately.

Many places are handing out free circles of joy today, so go get ya' some!

Fun Doughnut/Donut (spell it however you like as long as you pronounce it with a french accent) Facts:

  • Americans consume 10 million donuts annually

  • Louisville, KY consumes more donuts per capita than any other city in the US

  • The doughnut originated in Holland during the 16th century, they pronounce it "oliebollen"

  • John Haight holds the Guinness Book of World Records for eating 29 doughnuts in just over 6 minutes (that is pretty vomitous, don't care who ya are)

Happy Doughnut/Donut/Do-nut Day! What is your favorite flavor??

Stats provided by nydailynews.com, photos courtesy of alternativehealthjournal.com, altiusdirectory.com & farm4.static.flickr.com

1 comment:

Jason said...

I have a friend who has bet me that I couldn't eat a dozen Krispy Kremes in 5 minutes. I bravely/foolishly have taken that bet but have yet been called to put my money where my mouth is. I figured I was already in trouble when he told me that bigger men than me have tried and failed, but if that's the world record...I'll be the mayor of Puke City.